Institute of World Culture
Concord House
1407 Chapala Street, Santa Barbara, California 93101


Concord House, large image

One of Santa Barbara's finest Victorian houses, the Mortimer J. Cook House, a City Landmark building, was designed and built by Peter Barber in 1872. The first occupant of the house, Mortimer Cook, was Santa Barbara's first banker and a leading citizen in the development of Santa Barbara during the Victorian era. The house is distinguished by a two story winding staircase and cupola, signature features of Peter Barber homes. The House was renamed Concord House in 1976 after its renovation by the Institute of World Culture, a non-profit educational organization dedicated to life-long learning. Click here for a printer-friendly extended history